Sixty years ago, Lethbridge was booming. The population was growing, new homes were being built and the city’s schools were full.
Public school trustees responded in 1955 by approving plans for two new elementary schools, one on the city’s northside and the other on the south. The southside school, to be built on Corvette Crescent in the city’s new “veterans’ subdivision” would be named after Brigadier General John Smith Stewart, a Lethbridge dentist who raised a Canadian Field Artillery unit in 1908, and later became the most senior military officer from southern Alberta.
The post General Stewart celebrates 60 years appeared first on The Lethbridge Herald – News and Sports from around Lethbridge.