The Alberta Crown is opposed to a local media bid to broadcast live when a judge decides whether to grant a mistrial in Travis Vader‘s double-murder case.
To succeed in blocking the broadcast, the Crown must prove it would create “a serious risk to the administration of justice,” lawyers for Global Edmonton and other media outlets said in a submission filed with the court Wednesday.
And just a little over a month ago, Justice Denny Thomas agreed to have his verdict in Travis Vader’s case broadcast live, after the same media consortium won the rare approval.
In the submission, the media consortium’s lawyers remind Thomas one of his stated reasons for allowing a camera in court for the Vader verdict was that “public awareness of the final resolution of this lengthy case would increase confidence in the justice system.”
“The Applicants are of the view that a final resolution in this matter has not occurred,” the submission states.
“The public has a strong interest to once again witness a decision that may significantly impact the outcome of this case.”
Watch below: Judge Denny Thomas finds Vader guilty of second-degree murder on Sept. 15, 2016.
The application also notes that the family of Lyle and Marie McCann, the St. Albert couple Vader was convicted of killing, supports the application. It also says Travis Vader himself does not take a position.
Vader’s defence lawyers’ application for a mistrial stems from a controversial decision Thomas made when finding Vader guilty of second-degree murder in the McCanns’ deaths.
In his Sept. 15 decision, Thomas referenced a section of the Criminal Code that had been struck down by the Supreme Court of Canada over 25 years ago. Vader’s lawyers argue the reference is grounds for a mistrial.
Watch below: On Sept. 15, Travis Vader was found guilty of second-degree murder in the 2010 killings of Lyle and Marie McCann. His lawyers were back in court Monday asking for a mistrial. Global’s Reid Fiest was in the courtroom and has the details.
Lyle and Marie McCann were last seen while on a road trip on July 3, 2010. Their burned out motorhome was discovered a few days later.
Thomas is expected to decide on the camera by the end of next week. He’ll announce his mistrial decision on Oct. 31.
READ BELOW: The full submission.