Thousands without power Wednesday morning after storm hits Montreal

0

Approximately 24,000 Montrealers remained without power as of 8 a.m. Wednesday after a storm blew through the city Tuesday night, according to Hydro-Québec. 

That’s an improvement from the 115,000 who experienced power outages at the peak Tuesday night, said Hydro-Québec spokesperson Serge Abergel. 

Abergel said there are more than 150 crews working to restore power as quickly as possible, but added that power is not expected to be restored in many areas of Montreal until late Wednesday afternoon or later in the evening. 

In areas where the winds were particularly violent, it could take longer because crews will have to rebuild sections of the network, Abergel said. In some cases where hydro poles had been toppled or snapped by wind and fallen trees, crews are putting new poles in the ground.  

Related

Find the time Hydro Quebec expects power to be restored in any particular area by checking this map

“There are significant damages,” Abergel said. “This is not something we have seen in recent history in Montreal.”

He added that the severity of the damage can vary drastically from street to street.

“You can be on one street where trees are down and then drive a few streets up and it looks like nothing happened,” he said. 

In areas of N.D.G. where the storm hit the hardest, some residents compared the damage to the disastrous Ice Storm of 1998.

Côte-des-Neiges–Notre-Dame-de-Grâce borough mayor Russell Copeman has been tweeting advisories Wednesday morning.

Concordia university has announced that Loyola campus is closed today because of the outages. 

This story will be updated.

Source Link

Share.