Three dead in ammonia leak at hockey arena in Fernie, B.C.

0

Three people have been confirmed dead in Fernie, B.C., in connection with an ammonia leak at a hockey arena.

The leak happened at the Fernie Memorial Arena on Tuesday. Residents who live nearby have been told to evacuate the area and check in with Emergency Social Services at a drop-in centre.

The City of Fernie confirmed the three deaths in a statement. Officials added that the site has been secured, but crews are not yet able to safely enter the facility.

Several streets surrounding the arena have been shut down, and the public has been asked to avoid the area.

Firefighters, RCMP and emergency responders are all on the scene.

Ammonia is a colourless gas often used as an industrial refrigerant. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, ammonia has “suffocating fumes” and can be “immediately dangerous to life or health.”

Source Link

Share.